Sunday, December 6, 2009

In Kazakhstan

We are in Kazakhstan right now and it seems that people look at us and it is normal. But these people are from my culture and I sometimes wonder if I will grow up to be like that man or that one over there or if I’ll be tall or short. People here are like regular people, some attractive and some not but I think their pretty attractive and disciplined.

I feel more American than Kazakh because my home is in America and my language is English. I also have all my friends and belongings. When I go to Kazakhstan I feel as if I am in a crowd of people I don’t know and I’m just visiting.

So far I have enjoyed the trip because all we have done is fly, sleep and play. It’s kinda boring when that’s all you do for five days but it’s going pretty well. All the long flights have TV’s in the back and all the short flights you can see out the window so life is good.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Matthew! Glad your trip has gone well! How interesting it must be for you to be in the country you born yet also be an American! Cannot wait to hear more from you! Thinking of yous so much! Have fun! Miss Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew I love reading you updates and impressions, I feel like I a little fly on the wall of every place you are in. You will also love to read all this stuff later on when you grow up.
    Enjoy these really really special days.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,
    You must be exhausted from all that flying! It is so interesting to read about your thoughts being there - your native country - but yet still rather foreign. Keep up the blogging, we are all anxious to read your thoughts and hear about your days!
    Love you and miss you,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,

    It sounds as if you are having a great trip. You are probably tired from all the flying. It's nice that you are writing the blog and hearing your thoughts. Hope you have an awesome trip!!! I know you're going to be a great brother to Olesya and Angela.
    Igloo(Meg in Wichita)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You grew up in US, immersed in American culture and speaking English. Even though your genetical roots are from Kazakhstan, your personal roots are growing in US. First step to understand some nation is to learn the language of that nation. When you learn French, you become a little bit French, when you learn Spanish, you become a little bit Spanish. The more languages you speak, the more personalities you gain. Language gives you the key to understand the culture. So if you are motivated to become more Kazakh, you'd better learn some Kazakh. It's like solving a puzzle and discovering new things. Visit my blog: kazakhtili.wordpress.com There is not much information yet, but I'm working on it. And you can leave your feedback on what you'd like to learn in Kazakh.

    ReplyDelete